Wood planers are a tool that is an absolute necessity for any serious woodworking enthusiast. This tool is used to not only get the job done quickly, but also to increase the product’s quality as well. For this reason, it is important to know the best wood planers and wood thickness planers to choose from.
One thing to consider is the size of the wood planer that you are looking for. A large planer is going to be a lot more expensive than a smaller one. A properly sized planer is very important if you are planning on using your wood planer for a large quantity of work. It is possible to find some really large planers on the market that will fit into most any budget.
Another thing to consider when purchasing a wood planer is the height of the motor. When talking about thick planers, the higher the motor, the higher the quality of the tool. Also, high power is another great indicator of the quality of the tool that you are going to be purchasing.
Thickness Planer Reviews and Ratings
|1||DEWALT 13-Inch Thickness Planer - Three Knife, Two speed, DW735X model||1,414 Reviews|
|2||WEN 6552T 13 in. 15 Amp 3-Blade Benchtop Corded Thickness Planer||293 Reviews|
|3||CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Planer, 15-Amp (CMEW320)||34 Reviews|
|4||DEWALT Benchtop Planer, Single Speed, 15-Amp, 12-1/2-Inch (DW734)||603 Reviews|
|5||PORTER-CABLE Thickness Planer, 12-Inch (PC305TP)||168 Reviews|
|6||DEWALT Thickness Planer, Two Speed, 13-Inch (DW735)||541 Reviews|
|7||WEN 6550T 15 Amp 12.5 in. Corded Benchtop Thickness Planer||522 Reviews|
|8||Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp||348 Reviews|
|9||CRAFTSMAN Benchtop Jointer, 10-Amp (CMEW020)||28 Reviews|
|10||Wixey WR510 Electronic Digital Readout Kit for Portable Planers||472 Reviews|
While there are some really cheap, but high quality, plans available in many places, there are not many that will match the popularity of a popular name brand. The reason why a popular brand is popular is because it usually has very high quality components inside. For people that do not want to spend a lot of money, but still want a high quality product, these are the tools that they should be considering.
If you are going to use your wooden planer for a long period of time, then the longer the life of the planer, the better. The more life a planer has, the longer it will last. This is why wood planers that are more than 10 years old are often quite popular. The more life that a player has, the longer the life of the wood planer that you purchase.
When you are ready to purchase your next wood planer, then it will be wise to first make sure that you know what you want. Talk to friends, and look online for reviews about the wood planer that you want to purchase. Once you have these tools in hand, it will be easier to determine the right planer for you.
Top 10 Best Wood Thickness Planers
- Your purchase includes One Stationary 13" Planer, in/out feed tables, extra blades and dust hose adapter. Stand is not included.
- Planer dimensions: 24” L x 22” W x 18” H. Depth capacity: 6-Inch. Max depth cut: 1/8-Inch. Width capacity: 13-Inch. Tool weight: 92 pound
- Specifications: Made for 110V, not convertible to 220V. Includes automatic carriage lock that reduces the movements and snipes. Not compatible with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Two-speed gearbox allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Compatible with DW735 13", DW735X 13"
- Onboard material removal gauge informs users about the cutting depth of each pass
- Plane boards up to 6 in. T and 13 in. W
- 15 Amp motor generates 25,500 cuts per minute at a 26 ft. per minute feed rate
- 3-blade design makes easy work out of even the hardest of woods
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
- 15 amp benchtop thickness Planer motor allows for superior stock removal as its 8, 000 RPM cutter head speed provides 16, 000 cuts per minute. The two-knife, quick-change, solid steel cutter head assures smooth operation and long life. Ideal for dimensioning lumber to a desired thickness, and even planes glued-up materials.
- Hard and soft wood material removal: 15 amp motor provides power for both hard and soft wood material removal
- Maximum stock removal: Poly-V Cutterhead drive for maximum stock removal
- Smooth operation: Two knife, quick change, solid steel cutter, head mounted on ball bearings, assures smooth operation and long life
- Longer cutting life: high carbon steel, double edged, Reversible knives for cutting life
- Three knife cutter-head with 10,000 RPM provides 96 cuts per inch, one of the finest finishes of any portable planer
- Disposible, reversible knives deliver 30 percent more knife life and make knife change fast and easy
- Four-column carriage lock drastically reduces the movement that causes snipe
- Extra-long infeed and outfeed tables provide 33-1/2 inches of material support
- Powerful 15.0 Amp, 20,000 RPM motor handles larger, deeper cuts in hardwoods.
- Powerful 15 amp motor for superior stock removal
- Two knife, quick change, solid steel cutter, head mounted on ball bearings, assures smooth operation and long life
- High carbon steel, double Edged, Reversible knives for twice the cutting life
- Patented cutter elevation on four precision ground columns for superior cut stability
- Poly V belt cutter head drive with rugged gearbox/chain and SPROCKET feed roller drive for maximum power transfer
- Powerful 15-AMP, 20,000 RPM motor (10,000 RPM cutterhead speed) handles larger cuts in wider materials with ease
- Three knife cutter-head delivers 30-percent longer knife life and makes knife change faster and easier
- Two speed gear box allows users to change feed speed to optimizing cuts per inch at 96 or 179 CPI
- Fan-assisted chip ejection vacuums chips off of the cutter-head and exhausts them out of the machine
- Granite table provides a sturdy non-marring surface for wood to smoothly travel over
- Plane boards up to 6 inches thick and 12.5 inches wide
- 15A motor generates 17,000 cuts per minute at a 26 feet per minute feed rate
- Adjust depth to plane off anywhere from 0 to 3/32 of an inch with each pass
- Fan-assisted dust port removes sawdust from workpiece
- Compact with less weight for easy transporting to the jobsite
- Engineered for faster, easier blade changes
- Low noise (83dB) for operator comfort
- 4-post design and diagonal cross supports for stability
- Large table extensions to support the workpiece
- 10 amp benchtop Jointer features a variable speed range of 6, 000 to 11, 000 RPM and cutter head speed of 12, 000 to 22, 000 cuts per minute, allowing selection correct speed for material's size and hardness. Two-knife cutter head, with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement and built-in cutter head lock, allows for easy knife replacement and adjustment. Jointer is ideal for edging, flattening, or face jointing.
- Variable speed: range of 6, 000 to 11, 000 RPM allows the user to select the right speed for the size and hardness of material
- Easy replacement and knife adjustments: two-knife cutter head with jackscrew knife leveling arrangement allows for easy replacement and adjustment of knives
- Accurate cutting: center-mounted fence gives needed support throughout the cut for accurate edge jointing
- Hard and soft surfaces: heavy duty 10 amp motor provides power for hard and soft woods
- Fits most portable planers
- Easy to install, calibrate, and use
- Displays Inches with fractions or millimeters
- Large easy to read display angled for easy viewing